Parineeti Chopra responds to a male reporter who claims to know nothing about periods (menstrual cycle). [X]
I started my period when I was 10 years old. But we didn’t tell my grandma for three years because she subscribed to the “old traditions”, where a woman on her period could not enter the house, not even to bathe. Where she had to sit outside in front of the house (where the whole village could be witness to her shame and isolation) for the entire duration.
My friend started her period unexpectedly while we were at our local temple (in America) for dance class. Asking around if any of the parents had pads (all of them apologized and acted like adults about it), I thought surely the front office has a first aid kit. Don’t they have pads? When we asked, not only did they not have any, when one of the women gave one from her purse, the head secretary told us “There are men who need to use the first-aid kit, ya? So we don’t keep period things there.” Not even ibuprofen (which has so many more uses than period pain).
There are girls in India and Nepal (and other places, but I just read an in-depth piece about the situations in Nepal) who have to go to the “period hut” when their period comes and not leave until its over. They can’t wash and dry their cloth pads in the daylight, so they do it at night when the pads won’t dry properly before their next use, making them vulnerable to infection.
It is incredibly important, especially in India, to break the taboo surrounding periods. Break the secrecy around an event that happens to almost every woman, every month for literally half of her lifetime. Break the hiding, break the cover-up, break the SHAME.
Just break EVERYTHING. So little girls can go to school every day of every month without feeling ashamed. So women can work every day of every month to provide for their families without being glared at. So single fathers can confidently take care of their daughters’ health. So that women can talk about how terrible their period is or isn’t and give each other advice on how to deal with it without looking around to make sure men aren’t listening.
So that Whisper doesn’t have to be called Whisper, it can be called SHOUT. It can be called PROUD. So that we don’t NEED to fucking WHISPER about our bodies and our health.
- Guy on train: I'd fuck you if you didn't have so many tattoos.
- Me: *turns up music*
- Guy: I said I'd fuck you if you didn't have so many tattoos!
- Me: *takes off headphones* Leave. Me. Alone.
- Guy: Why the fuck do you have so many tattoos?
- Guy: Are you fucking deaf as well as a piece of trash?
- Lady by door: Hey. Leave her alone.
- Guy: Are you her trash girlfriend? Fucking dykes, all tattooed like fucking men. Disgusting waste of pussy.
- Lady: *moves forward, carefully moves jacket so only I can see the badge on her belt* Are you okay?
- Me: Fine. Just wish he'd go away.
- Lady cop: I can make that happen.
- Guy: Oh, yeah, bitch? Who the fuck are you? I'll kill you!
- Lady cop: And that's what I was waiting for. *grabs guy, holds him against the door* Harassing women on the train was enough, but you just threatened a cop. You're battin' a thousand tonight.
- Entire train: *applauds*
Ever want to reread a fanfic but you can’t remember the title? Here’s a Google trick that will change your life
Let’s say you’re looking for a Destiel fic that involved a trip to Costco and you read it on AO3. First thing you type in the Google search bar is
the site: tells Google that you only want it to search the AO3 website
Next, enter your search terms
costco dean cas
when you hit search Google will give you a list of all the pages on AO3 that contain the words you entered. All you have to do is click through the results until you find the fic you’re thinking of
It’s that easy. Now go find that fanfic you’ve been pining for
BLESS THIS POST. I just found the Johnlock fanfic I’ve been searching for months. Thank you!!!
I have been searching for a Sterek fic FOREVER and I just found it!!
it warms my heart to hear this!
I’ve also used this trick to find new fanfics to read. Now that AO3 is having trouble with their tags and search function you might want to use this when looking for something new to read
My 9th Tumblr Giveaway, Downey edition
I printed 2 copies from this calendar and I am going to give one of them away to one of my followers. I found a really good shipping company and can ship world wide without a problem.
This is some information regarding the giveaway item :
- Its 2015 calendar
- Designed by me - A4 Size
- All the pictures are new from this year (2014)
- The quality of calendar is perfect
- You can not buy this anywhere
So, if you are interested in getting it, please read the rules below:
- Reblog only count..just once is fine..
- One winner only
- You have to be following me as its for my followers
- The winner will be chosen by a number generator.
- I will ship world wide
- The Giveaway will end on 28th of Sept
- I will notify the winner after 2 days
- If i didn’t get a reply from the winner, I will pick another one :)
Good luck ;)